Friday, February 8, 2008

B is for Bed & Breakfast

As some of you might know, Katherine and I have been looking for a house to buy in Starkville. We made the rounds with a realtor over Christmas and saw a few that we liked. I just don't think we saw any that we liked enough to go deeply into debt. I'm sure that'll happen eventually, but we've decided to rent for a few months. That way we can save up enough for a down payment on a $1.4 million lodge on 2,000 acres of prime hunting land with a stocked bass pond near the front porch. Maybe we'll rent for a year instead.

We had already made plans to come home to look at houses again in March. Katherine already had the days off at work, and I had scheduled the airplane. Ever since we moved to Virginia, there has been this notion that we would pack up and go to a New England B&B for a long weekend. Well, this just seemed like the perfect time since we weren't immediately going to be buying a house. I got on the internet and started shopping a trip.

After some browsing, the place to go jumped out at me. I used to love the TV series "Wings" on USA. You know: Joe, Brian, Roy, Loel, and Helen. Oh yeah, don't forget Antonio. What a great show. It was set on the island of Nantucket, MA. That's where we're going. I think it will be a great trip, and Katherine is pretty excited. It'll be fun to see a different part of the country, and the lady that owns the Carlisle House seems really nice, too.

Maybe I can get a bite to eat at Helen's diner when we land?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely seething with jealousy. I am obssessed with all things new england. ESPECIALLY nantucket. Can I go?

ps--my 8th grade english teacher went to high school with the girl that played hellen.

Marty said...

I loved Wings!!! Glad to know someone else did, too.

Also, I'm so glad you are going on a trip! A well-deserved vacation. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

i love it up there. when you are there, you should definately venture over to Maine and give a shout out to my jewish camp. I miss it terribly, as you can imagine.

Are you really moving to starkville? did I missread something?

Anonymous said...

We've been planning on moving to Starkville for at least two years now.