Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mall design: Creating a man-friendly environment

Last night, Katherine and I made a trip to the New River Valley Mall. Let me begin by saying it was a pleasant experience overall. Never before have I seen a mall which mixed guy stores and gal stores so well. Beside Victoria Secret there's a Dick's Sporting Goods and Radio Shack. Over near Belk there's a game shop with X-Box's and Wii's setup to play...... amazing! You can also watch kids learning karate through a big open window. The karate school is called "The One." I think Jackie Chan works there......

On a different note, we're shocking this weekend. I'll explain. For my master's research, basically what we're doing is running a lab-scale wastewater treatment plant...... 3 actually. The treatment plants run all at the same time, and I put toxic chemicals into only 2 of them. Out of the two with toxic chemicals, one is operated normally while the other is run differently in a way that hopefully minimizes the harmful effects of the toxin. The 3rd, unshocked reactor is a control (shows what the plant would be doing if there were no toxins). Basically, I wake up every morning and go play with sewage. We pump raw sewage from a man-hole into our 55-gallon drum that lasts one day. Right now we're running all three the same until we 'shock' 2 of them. That's tomorrow. I'm not expecting much sleep. We pretty much take samples and analyze them using different lab experiments. By the time we're through with the experiments, it's time to go get more samples. It slows down after the first 2 days though.

Well, I have to get to work........ with poop.

7 comments:

mary straton said...

That is sick, Sammer.

Anonymous said...

that IS gross. but I'm glad you got to play xbox at the mall.

Unknown said...

trey would like the mall additions.

Do you get to say poo-poo alot during the day? because if so, then I say it is worth it.

LT (and Max) said...

i miss you sammer.

Anonymous said...

Sam, When I think of all the $$ your parents have spent for you to work in "waste", I want to cry! Mrs. K

Unknown said...

by the looks of your blog I can see that your taste in music has not improved in the least.

some things never change, sammer.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love this blogging stuff. I feel like I really know what y'all are doing. Of course, even the mundane things (like shocking poop and going to the mall) are interesting to moms. Maybe if John Mark would do a blog I could actually find out what he's up to. That's probably too much to hope for at this point.

Love you both! Mom (Elizabeth)

How do I sign off? Maybe I'll be 'Mom 1' and Bonnie can be 'Mom 2', since it looks like I've beat her to the blog. Or, does that sound too much like 'Thing 1' and 'Thing 2' ?